[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Re: Low iCAPE

Posted By: Scott Dennstaedt
Date: 7-May-07 1819Z

In Response To: Re: Low iCAPE (Stan Benjamin)

>>> I plotted the same sounding you showed and got 5320 J/kg for the surface parcel. Be careful in how you click on the surface level, since you the sounding app forces in the temperature that you click on. Your sounding shows that you caught a very thin positive buoyant layer from 900-810 hPa, a fluke for the value you clicked on for your sounding.

Stan,

Thanks for the info.

What temperature and pressure did you start your parcel that resulted in 5,320? And why did you choose them? I assumed that iCAPE was calculated based on the temperature and pressure (and dew point at that pressure) chosen? I assume that this includes all the CAPE above 10,000 feet (700 mb) in addition to the thin positive buoyant layer? Is that not the case for iCAPE?

I chose the parcel temperature to be the surface temperature. Isn't that the definition of SBCAPE? What am I missing? I guess I need a short lesson on SBCAPE.

I look forward to your comments.

Messages In This Thread

Low iCAPE -- Scott Dennstaedt -- 5-May-07 1535Z
Re: Low iCAPE -- Stan Benjamin -- 5-May-07 2126Z
Re: Low iCAPE -- Scott Dennstaedt -- 7-May-07 1819Z
Re: Low iCAPE -- Bill Moninger -- 8-May-07 2022Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.