Change Details - New Hourly Model Ceiling Statistics
- 28-Nov-2017 (production and beta, on new server)
- Queries for PODy/n and FAR were incorrect and have been fixed.
Routine(s) changed: get_ceil_stats.cgi.
- 9-March-2017 (production and beta, on new server)
- The java code calls getModels.cgi to get the list of available
models. Also, the java code calculates default start and end
dates. Routine(s) changed: StatsDisplay,
CurveParameters, Welcome.cgi, getModels.cgi (new).
- 31-Aug-2016 (beta and production)
- Corrected an error for the RRrapx130 grid that was using the
'cloud base' field instead of the 'cloud ceiling' field.
- Eliminated processing for the RRrapx221 grid.
- Routine(s) changed:
- 25-Aug-2016 (beta and production)
- Corrected an error that caused multiple METAR reports within the
same hour to be matched with the model. Only the METAR report
nearest the model valid time within each hour (valid time +/- 30
min) was supposed to matched with the model. This shouldn't change
the statistics very much, but the correction does lower Ntot and
Nlow. Ntot should now correctly match the number of METARs within
the region that reported during the hour centered on the model
- 22-Aug-2016 (beta and production)
- Found an error in the ceiling calculation algorithm that's been
there since the start. We had been taking the altitude (AGL) of
the lowest reported level as the ceiling, even if the lowest level
was SCT or FEW. We now take the lowest level coded as BKN, OVC, or
VV. This was corrected starting 20-Aug-2016.
- 26-Aug-2015 (beta and production)
- All beta changes moved to production.
- Background horizontal lines changed from black to lightGray. Routine(s) changed: DisplayFrame.java.
- 16-July-2015 (beta)
- Added options to look at the verification statistics out on 3-hourly
intervals out to 30 hours. Done in response to the RAP and HRRR forecast
lengths being extended. Routine(s) changed: CurveParameters.
- 16-July-2014 (beta)
- Fixed to not put out data from incomplete averaging intervals. If
there are gaps at either end of the averaging interval that
together exceed 10% of the total averaging interval, the datum for
that interval is set to 'missing'. Routine
- 3-May-2012 20Z (beta and oper)
- removed bad NAM results found earlier today. This
creates a gap in results for non-RUC regions from 12Z 26-May-2011
through 18Z 2 May 2012.
- (beta only) We now draw lines through data points that are separated by the
minimum time interval between data on each curve. So, we can compare hourly RAP
forecasts with 6-hourly NAM forecasts, and each will be a curve,
not isolated data points.
- Routine changed: get_ceil_stats.cgi
- 3-May-2012 (beta and oper)
- discovered a problem with NAM results for all
regions other than RUC. All NAM regions were filled with data from
the RUC regions. Fixed starting 0Z today. Check the Ntot variable
to see if NAM has too many METARs for a given region. Need to
eliminate the bad data.
- 1-May-2012 (beta)
- Added NAMceil -- NAM model, but using their special HGT level =
'cloud ceiling' field.
- New routines: NAMceil_driver.pl,
changed: update_summaries.pl, get_iso_file2.pl
- 26-Jan-2012 (beta and production)
- Added RRrapx130 and RRrapx221 models.
- Changed to read HRRR files in wgrib2 (5x to 10x speedup!)
- Changed to read RR files in Rotated LatLon in wgrib2 (big speedup)
- Changed to use wgrib2/1.9.2c on jet, which correctly reads dx and dy.
- Routine(s) changed: find_wgrib2.sh (new),
make_grib2_ciel_tmp_file.pl (new), get_grid.pl (new),
ceil_driverHRRR.pl, ceil_driverRR.pl, get_iso_file3.pl, update_summaries3.pl,
fill_ceil_values3.c, ceil_driver3.c, fill_rotLL_ceil_values3.c,
- 25-Jan-2012 (beta and production)
- Made a fix to account for a change in the 'missing' value for
ceilings (i.e., clear sky). Previously, this was negative. Now its
some big number. So, ceilings > 1e10 are now coded as 60,000 ft,
the same way negative ceilings were previously treated. Routine(s) changed: fill_rotLL_ceil_values3.c.
- 5-Jan-2012 (beta)
- The drop-down list for years now updates automatically to include
the current year +1. Routine(s) changed:
- 26-Sep-2011 (beta)
- Added RR1h_dev2_prs. Routine(s) changed:
- The list of models provided on the web interface is now populated
by looking at the ceiling_sums database. Routine(s) changed: Welcome.cgi.
- 26-May-2011 (beta)
- We updated the processing for models: NAM dev1320 Op13 Op20 dev13
Bak13. Previously, we tried to process only one hour each hour;
this caused occasional gaps when the db was too busy. We now
process the 'current' hour (generally 5 hrs ago), then 1,3, and 8
hours previous to that. We also note if an hour/fcst has already
been processed, so we don't re-process it. We also provide a
second change to load obs into the ceiling db. To do this we added
an entry to cron2's cron for 'get_obs.pl -3 wolphin'Routine(s) changed: update_summaries.pl,
- 12-May-2011 (beta)
- We now allow a 'region' consisting of single METAR site id's (or
several separated by commas). But this only works
for 'unmatched' curves, and for the 'PODy' statistic. Routine(s) changed: CurveParameters.java,
- 19-Oct-2010 (later, beta only)
- Now use a little 'x' in the upper right of each curve specifier to
allow it to be removed. We no longer have a 'remove' button that
removes the last curve. So, you can now remove any curve. Routine(s) changed: CurvesControl, DisplayFrame,
CurveParameters, SimpleLine2, get_ceil_stats.cgi.
- 19-Oct-2010 (production and beta)
- All beta changes moved to production.
- Difference curves made optional.
- Problem Java 6 update 22 causes Jbuttons that use html text to
become blank, so I removed the html text on the buttons.
- Routine(s) changed: CurvesControl,
get_ceil_stats.cgi, Welcome.cgi (to use archive
- 21-Oct-2009 (beta)
- Statistics, including standard error, added to the text
window. Routine(s) changed: DisplayFrame.
- 20-Aug-2009 (production and beta)
- All beta changes moved to production.
- North American Model (NAM) added.
- If more than 50% of the points on a line are missing, the line is
plotted with symbols and lines, instead of just lines. (This was
done to more easily display models that only produce forecasts
every few hours, as opposed to every hour.) The way
each line is plotted can (as always) can be changed by
right-clicking on the line's legend. Routine(s)
changed: DisplayFrame, SimpleLine2.
- 17-Aug-2009 (beta)
- Text window option added, that shows for each data point (averaged
or not) the date, the value plotted, the number of hours in the
average (Nhrs), the number of METAR sites below the threshold
(Nlow), and the total number of METARs (Ntot). Routine(s) changed: get_ceil_stats.cgi, StatsDisplay,
- 13-Aug-2009 (production and beta)
- Error corrected that caused the min and max dates in 'plot
unmatched' to depend on the order of curves.
- N_in_avg added as a statistic.
- Date selection window now goes back to 2006, to include retro run
- Routine(s) changed: DisplayFrame, CurveParameters,
- 5-Dec-2008 (production and beta)
- All beta changes moved to production (ceiling3.jar)
- model Bak13 (on 13 km grid) from wjet added
- model dev13 (on 13km grid) added
- "model" persistence added
- statistic Bias added
- statistic FAR added
- statistic CSI added
- statistic HSS added
- The 'plot matching' function was adjusted to not requrie the
same number of metar reports in compared models for each
hour. This makes it easier to match persistence with other
models (because persistence requires that a metar station report
at exactly the same time n hours ago, and this doesn't always
apply). It also makes it easier to match models on different
grids, because models on 20km grids have a few (about 4) more
metars than those on 13km grids. This is because at the edges a
metar will be matched if it is within 10km of a grid point for a
20km model, but the METAR must be within 6.5km of a grid point
for a 13km model.
- Routine(s) changed: get_ceil_stats.cgi,
CurveParameters, routines that load models into the
- 2-Dec-2008 (beta)
- Updated to get a list of models from the calling web page. Also,
got rid of an annoying java bean info call in SGLabel that may
have slowed down the appearence of plots. Routine(s) changed: Welcome.cgi, CurveParameters,
StatsDisplay, CurvesControl, gov.noaa.pmel.sgt.SGLabel
- First version. This uses data from the 'ceiling' database on
Prepared by Bill Moninger,
Last modified: Thu Mar 9 21:39:57 UTC 2017