[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

NOAA HRRR Viewer

Posted By: Roland Schweitzer
Date: 30-November-16 2308Z

Hi,

As an experiment I've built a viewer for the NOAA HRRR data. The viewer uses Google maps as a base map and plots color-filled contours, line contours and vectors (for winds) and allows multiple layers on the map. It also gives the user control of the order and opacity of the layers. You can zoom through a few Google Maps zoom levels. You can also loop through a number of time steps of all the layers you currently have on the map at any zoom level. It takes a while for the layers to build and for the browser to cache the images to smooth out the animation, but it gets there eventually (see the animated GIF in the link below).

It's running at http://maps.climatedatacloud.com. I'm downloading the grib and converting and interpolating it to a regular lat/lon grid so the forecast is about 45 minutes out-of-date by the time you can see it.

The production of the plot tiles is done on-the-fly and I'm only using one small virtual machine so that is also rather slow (unless somebody has looked at that layer and I can show it from the cache).

I'm not sure if this forum is an appropriate place to discuss this in depth, so you can contact me directly with questions or comments by following the link at the bottom of the map and looking at the "About me" link.

There are still a few bugs with looping over day boundaries and moving from one forecast to the next. But, as I say, this was an experiment to see if I could build such a viewer so if you find it useful you're welcome to use it while it's up and running.

I've included an album of screen shots in the link below.

Cheers,
Roland

https://goo.gl/photos/UhocWS2m1as1nkiZ7

Messages In This Thread

NOAA HRRR Viewer -- Roland Schweitzer -- 30-November-16 2308Z
Re: NOAA HRRR Viewer -- Matt Hillburn -- 5-December-16 1512Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.