[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Questions about Operational HRRR

Posted By: Tom Green
Date: 26-October-14 1338Z

I had a few questions after seeing the training related to the operational HRRR now available at NCEP.

1. I am a big fan of hourly maximum fields. I almost never view the 1 km AGL reflectivity or composite reflectivity plots, since I want to see what will happen over the entire hour. Rather than interpolate in my head, I almost always view the 1 km AGL hourly maximum reflectivity.

Along those lines, is there any possibility of adding a 10 m hourly maximum wind gust grid/graphic? If a squall line comes through the region moving 50 mph, the image valid at the top of each hour will appear to _skip over_ large swaths. If I were to consider cut and pasting the HRRR wind gust grids into AWIPS, I am assuming that I would miss lots of spatial coverage in a scenario like that, correct? Of course, AWIPS does not include hourly maximum reflectivity grids, and I am assuming those or hourly maximum wind gust grids would be very unlikely.

2. The 10 m wind gust is determined to be the largest wind speed that occurs in the PBL. A later slide in the training says that _the 80 m wind can provide an estimate for surface wind gusts in environments that support large vertical momentum transport._ Viewing the 80 m wind seems redundant to me. In a day with large vertical momentum transport, the PBL would be much greater than 80 m deep. In those cases, wouldnt the 10 m wind gust almost always be greater than the 80 m wind?

3. The module mentions snow water equivalent, although I do not see that available on the operational HRRR page. The module also mentions that there is no estimate for snow ratio as a conversion factor. However, the experimental HRRR page shows snow water equivalent, 1 hr snowfall, and total accumulation snowfall. In fact, the experimental HRRR page shows many other variables that are not included on the operational HRRR page. Are there plans for those _extra_ experimental HRRR fields to be operational at some point? Frankly, I probably would not be looking at much other than the snow fields, but did not know if the currently available operational HRRR fields were simply the first ones, with more to follow at a later time.

Messages In This Thread

Questions about Operational HRRR -- Tom Green -- 26-October-14 1338Z
Re: Questions about Operational HRRR -- Geoff Manikin -- 28-October-14 1655Z
Re: Questions about Operational HRRR -- Tom Green -- 28-October-14 1936Z
ADMIN! Re: Questions about Operational HRRR -- Stan Benjamin -- 1-November-14 0126Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.