[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Question about soundings and cloud bases

Posted By: Bill Moninger
Date: 13-January-14 2209Z

Greetings,
here is a message from Dan Johnson who was unable to post directly to the board. While we debug the problem he encountered, I'm posting his (slightly edited) message below, and will respond to it shortly.
-Bill
-------------------------------------
From Dan Johnson:

Hello. I was searching NOAA for data on cloud bases and tops to use in flight planning.

I am a commercial pilot and fly for the State of Wi, DOA. I found the Soundings from RAP applet and have a couple questions about the data.

1. I found the new interactive display that works with touch screens on the iPad (at http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/gwt/) and can get the wind pop up to show direction and speed as I move up. This very cool and probably where Garmin gets data for it's aviation app.

How do I discern the same for cloud bases, tops and layers in-between?

2. Is there a report that is generated that gives a text/numerical display of the data?

I'm imagining something in pressure altitudes like
base@1500/Top@4000... Next layer base@6300/top@15700.

From the minimal understanding I have, when the blue and red lines overlay there is visible moisture. Using the temp output on the touch screen I can predict the possibility of icing.

I tried one of the links to a tutorial but it seemed more for coders and programmers.

Are there any tutorials for pilots? How about other types of graphical displays that are easier to understand for aviators?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dan Johnson

Messages In This Thread

Question about soundings and cloud bases -- Bill Moninger -- 13-January-14 2209Z
Re: Question about soundings and cloud bases -- Bill Moninger -- 13-January-14 2225Z
Re: Question about soundings and cloud bases -- Dan Johnson -- 14-January-14 1441Z
Re: Question about soundings and cloud bases -- Brian Jamison -- 14-January-14 1550Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.