[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Questions Regarding Hybrid Level

Posted By: David Daniel
Date: 18-January-13 0134Z

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here, so let me introduce myself. My name is David. I'm a grad student, doing research in Remote Sensing. I'm also quiet new to this field, so please pardon my ignorance if it shows up. I did my best to research this information before posting.

I am trying to understand the difference between the Hybrid levels in the RAP forecast models. Based on what I'm reading, the Hybrid Vertical Coordinate System uses Sigma Levels for elevation under the Planetary Boundary Layer (800mb-1000mb). I need to use the Hybrid levels, and not the Pressure Levels, as mandated by the professor who I'm working with. I understand the Pressure Levels. It appears to be very straight forward.

So, when I'm reading through the messages in RAP file (rap.t00z.awp130bgrbf00.grib2), I'm seeing levels 1-50 (and as specified here: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/rap/rap.t12z.awp130bgrbf00.grib2.shtml)

I need values (Temperature, Water Vapor Pressure, etc.) between 800mb to 1000mb. So, my question is, do I go through the "Pressure" messages (Parameter: PRES) to find out what hybrid levels fit in the Planetary Boundary Layer, before I select the messages pertaining to my values that fit these levels? Or is there a more intuitive method?

Also, Is there a table similar to this (http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds115.4/docs/levels.hybrid.html), so I can identify the pressure at each level?

Thank you!

Messages In This Thread

Questions Regarding Hybrid Level -- David Daniel -- 18-January-13 0134Z
Re: Questions Regarding Hybrid Level -- John M. Brown -- 18-January-13 0228Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.