[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Re: Questions about Operational HRRR

Posted By: Geoff Manikin
Date: 28-October-14 1655Z

In Response To: Questions about Operational HRRR (Tom Green)

hi Tom-

It's not entirely clear to me, but I think you're referring to the NCEP model page http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov Assuming I'm correct, that page is maintained by NCEP Central Operations, and no one on the RAP/HRRR team can change the content of that site. On that main page, there is a link at the very bottom of the menu on the left side where one can email the webmaster with comments about the web site, and I encourage you (and anyone) to do so.

The experimental page to which you refer is one of the sites maintained by ESRL. Most of the HRRR parameters which they plot are available in the operational HRRR - they're just currently not included on the MAG page. The 1-hr and total snowfall are an exception, as those are "post-processed" by ESRL.

I'll let someone else clarify the 80-m wind vs gust issue, but it may be that the gust parameter constrains how much of the wind speed in the PBL can be mixed to the surface, while the 80-m value is a pure interpolation from the model levels around 80m. So it seems possible that, while the gust and 80 m wind values are often somewhat similar, the 80m value may be a better representation of the possible gust if the gust constraint is too restrictive in a particular environment.

Messages In This Thread

Questions about Operational HRRR -- Tom Green -- 26-October-14 1338Z
Re: Questions about Operational HRRR -- Geoff Manikin -- 28-October-14 1655Z
Re: Questions about Operational HRRR -- Tom Green -- 28-October-14 1936Z
ADMIN! Re: Questions about Operational HRRR -- Stan Benjamin -- 1-November-14 0126Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.