[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Convert RAP lat lon to grid coordinate (xI, xJ)

Posted By: Sydney Lin
Date: 5-June-12 0144Z

Hi,

I am trying to extract the wind data from NCEP RAP (grib2 format). To be more specific, I am trying to extract uWind and vWind meter per second at some given latitude and longitude. I have an old verions of parser which converts latitude and longitude in RUC configuration to its corresponding index in grib2 specification.

I've been studying the Rapid Refresh website for few days, the website gives helpful information about the differences between RAP and RUC. However, since I am new to this field, I still have some questions about RAP data extraction.

Can I use my old parser (ex: converRucCorrdinate) to map the latitude and longitude in RAP configuration to its corresponding grid coordinate? I learned that the domain of RAP data is Arakawa C grid not Lambert conformal grid, but from A&Q it says that the 13km horizontal resolution of RAP is just like RUC. Does this means, I can still use the mapping to xI and xJ from RUC parser but need to modify the mapping to different layer.

If the old parser does not work, could you point me to some direction to reference?

Thanks for your time,
Sydney

Messages In This Thread

Convert RAP lat lon to grid coordinate (xI, xJ) -- Sydney Lin -- 5-June-12 0144Z
ADMIN! Re: Convert RAP lat lon to grid coordinate (xI, xJ) -- Brian Jamison -- 5-June-12 1443Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.