[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Re: Reflectivity missing in KY/WV/VA

Posted By: Stan Benjamin
Date: 27-February-09 1540Z

In Response To: Reflectivity missing in KY/WV/VA (Mike Gibson)

Mike,

Thanks for this post on this late Jan case with snow in the KY/WV/VA area and apologize for not having responded earlier. I tried to look into it a bit at that time, and the reflectivity did seem a bit light in the operational RUC in that area.

There have been changes in the GSD version of the RUC for retaining moisture/cloud variables more effectively. These changes (ensuring saturation in 3-d volumes with non-zero cloud water and ice hydrometeor mixing ratios coming out of the RUC analysis) are now in testing at NCEP, along with the snow cover fix change described in my 19 Feb 09 RUC forum post.

If you see this problem again, it would be interesting to look at the GSD backup RUC13 (or devRUC13) for the same reflectivity plots (both under http://ruc.noaa.gov). And please post again or write to me. Our apologies again for such a slow response.

Stan Benjamin

Messages In This Thread

Reflectivity missing in KY/WV/VA -- Mike Gibson -- 30-January-09 2344Z
ADMIN! Re: Reflectivity missing in KY/WV/VA -- Stan Benjamin -- 27-February-09 1540Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.