[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Forecast times

Posted By: Dana
Date: 1-November-06 1207Z

Mentioned in passing in another thread: Unless it has other ramifications (doesn't it always?) I'd like to suggest that the image filenames be built with the actual (zulu) time of the forecast, instead of the forecast duration from the time it was made. I realize, of course, that the time is included in the graphic, which is useful if the images are all viewed on one page, but makes it impossible to select a single image based on time of day without knowing when the run was completed. Putting the run time in the image as well would be fine for those who need to know how old the date is. This would also have the advantage of avoiding duplicate and/or confusing data when not all times are updated at the same time.

A good example of how this is handled (but not as good a forecast no updated as frequently) is the Intellicast wind forecast at http://tinyurl.com/ygm6fk . For example, the forecast for today at noon is hfd_d0_12.jpg; tomorrow noon would be hfd_d1_12.jpg, etc.

I'm currently using the RUC13 dev2 forecasts, with a javascript to select the appropriate image, but I can't select the correct image based on time of day without knowing when the forecast was run.

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.