[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Help using RUC for research

Posted By: Mike Ross
Date: 21-June-04 1745Z

I would like to ask the weather experts a question on using RUC for simulation research. I am using RUC to supply simulated aircraft with weather. Our aircraft dynamics react to weather. Right now we use; pressure, temperature and wind. If I use a single RUC file I have a static model of weather. It is what it is for the duration of the simulation. I want to introduce weather changing over time. To do this I would take a file from say hour 05 and hour 06. Then normalize the time to 00 hr and 01 hr. Then as the simulation runs I would take a interpolated positional reading (latitude, longitude, altitude) from each file and then linearly interpolate between these results based on how far along the simulation is. That is the results would be weighted by time from one file to the other. My question to the RUC weather community is: Is this a valid approach? Will I get realistic weather? Is there a better interpolation model to use? Is there a better way to do it? As you may have figured out I am an engineer and have a very limited knowledge of the dynamics of weather. That’s why I am seeking your help. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread

Help using RUC for research -- Mike Ross -- 21-June-04 1745Z
Re: Help using RUC for research -- John Brown -- 21-June-04 1745Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.