[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Re: Mystery grib variable

Posted By: Stan Benjamin
Date: 20-March-04 2108Z

In Response To: Mystery grib variable (Jack Glendening)

There are several RUC variables for which provisional GRIB parameter numbers were assigned, including #225, which happens to be the 728th record of the RUC native coordinate output file. These provisional numbers were subsequently assigned to other variables by NCEP for other requirements. FSL has proposed a new list to NCEP to correct these parameter numbers.

In this case, #225 had been provisionally assigned to evaporation of canopy water. All of the GRIB parameter values currently used in the RUC are defined in the RUC20 GRIB table at http://ruc.fsl.noaa.gov/ruc20gribtable.html.
--------
Original question from Jack Glendening:
I just degribbed variable 728 in an (older) FSL RUC file which had the header info:

728:53173082:D=2002062612:VGTYP:sfc:kpds=225,1,0:6hr fcst:"Vegetation type (as in SiB) [0..13]

so I was expecting some integer values ranging from 0-13 but instead got floating points ranging from 0 to 671.3. Is this correct? Am I mistaken in what I was expecting?

Messages In This Thread

Mystery grib variable -- Jack Glendening -- 20-March-04 2108Z
Re: Mystery grib variable -- Stan Benjamin -- 20-March-04 2108Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.