[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Re: cold air damming/outbreaks this week in RUC

Posted By: Gary Lackmann
Date: 30-January-04 0143Z

In Response To: cold air damming/outbreaks this week in RUC (Stan Benjamin)

As a resident of the Appachian damming region (Raleigh), I did notice the model bias during this recent event (1/25/04-1/27/04). Another potential contributor to this (in addition to the factors that Stan mentioned) may be surface data assimilation. I know that at some point in 2003, the EDAS stopped assimilating surface temperatures (it would probably be wise to confirm this with someone who is more familiar with the EDAS system than I am). But this leads me to wonder about differences in surface data assimilation between the RUC, GDAS, and EDAS. It would seem that without assimilation of temperature data from surface stations, it would be difficult for the models to have a realistic handle on the intensity of shallow, stable arctic air masses. Thanks,

Gary Lackmann

Messages In This Thread

cold air damming/outbreaks this week in RUC -- Stan Benjamin -- 30-January-04 0143Z
Re: cold air damming/outbreaks this week in RUC -- Gary Lackmann -- 30-January-04 0143Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.