[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum

Re: RUC Dependability

Posted By: Paul Decker
Date: 7-August-03 1816Z

In Response To: RUC Dependability (Stephen Drane)

I know that the FSL group can stick up for themselves, but I just want to put my two cents in here.

I've been using RUC data for air traffic management research purposes for about 8 years. Every time I've had a question or a problem, the FSL people have bent over backwards to answer it or help me out.

If you read the java page it says "Generally, analyses are available for the past 16 hours, and forecasts are available for various hours out to +36 hours. The time at which forecasts become available is somewhat unpredictable, because MAPS runs as soon as files are available, in order to produce results as soon as possible."

Keywords here are "generally" and "somewhat unpredictable". In all the years I've been using RUC data, it has usually been very close to always on time.

Since this is a free site, I guess your comment about spending "our money" is a reference to public sector funding from various government agencies, and of course that means taxes. If so FSL is spending my money too, and I for one think I'm getting a lot for that investment. Sorry about you gliders. I'm sure Octave Chanute and Otto Lilienthal would have made do.

Paul Decker

Messages In This Thread

RUC Dependability -- Stephen Drane -- 12-August-03 1605Z
Re: RUC Dependability -- Paul Decker -- 7-August-03 1816Z
Re: RUC Dependability -- Kevin Brundage -- 11-August-03 1851Z
Re: RUC Dependability -- Jack Glendening -- 11-August-03 1851Z
Re: RUC Dependability -- Brent Sullivan -- 12-August-03 1605Z

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Rapid Refresh (RAP) and High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Forum is maintained by RR/RAP Forum Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.