[ Read Responses | Return to the Index ]

[ Previous | Next ]

Posted by Geoff Manikin on 7 May 02, 15:10 MT

I have created a new web site to take advantage of the hourly RUC station time series BUFR output. Meteograms are now available at http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/rucmeteograms
These gifs will be produced at all TAF sites for all of the 12-hour forecasts (00Z, 03Z, 06Z....21Z). The new gifs will generally make it to the server about 90-105 minutes after the GMT time of the cycle - the 00Z and 12Z runs will be later due to the later start time for the 'B' cycle.

I have attempted to include variables of interest to the aviation and convective forecasters. I wanted to use wind barbs instead of speed for 3-level wind plot, but the changes to GEMPAK needed for this are not yet completed, so look for that down the line. Otherwise, if you see a field that has been blatantly omitted, let me know, but for the most part, I'll be adopting an "I just can't please everyone" outlook. Comments, however, on the site and presentation are welcome and can be e-mailed to me.

I will note that the site is considered EXPERIMENTAL. Certain gifs will fail to make it to the server, and some cycles will inevitably be missed. I'll make the processing as reliable as I can. Please only contact me if one particular station is continually not updating or if a star on the map isn't properly linked or if you spot any glaring errors. As a final note, you can bookmark individual station gifs if you like, but be sure to bookmark the main page as well, as I will likely have to move the site to another server at some point. Thanks for taking a look.

-Geoff

The FSL RAP/HRRR/RUC Information Forum is maintained with a variant of WebBBS .